Monday 8 February 2021

Elton John: I learned by touring Europe in the 60s. Young artists need the same chance

Elton John: I learned by touring Europe in the 60s. Young artists need the same chance

In 1966, I went to Hamburg. I was the keyboard player in Bluesology, and we had a residency at the Top Ten Club, where the Beatles had famously cut their teeth. It was a real baptism of fire. We played on the Reeperbahn, five hours a night in among the brothels and sex shows, to audiences who hadn’t come to see us. But it was still great: we played so much we didn’t have any choice but to improve as a band. Certainly, it was better than my solo debut on the continent a few years later, when some bright spark booked me as the support act to Sergio Mendes in Paris.
Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/07/elton-john-touring-europe-young-artists-brexit-negotiators-musicians-support?source=Snapzu

No comments:

Post a Comment